Songwriting Presents ‘How I Wrote…’ (Paperback)
Origin stories of over 40 much-loved hits from the 60s to the present day, as told by the songwriters themselves!
In the process of interviewing hundreds of well-known solo artists, bands and behind-the-scenes songwriters, Songwriting Magazine has had the privilege of learning how these talented creators work and the circumstances that inspired some of their most successful songs.
Within the pages of How I Wrote… you’ll find the real stories behind 40 chart-topping hits and cherished classics, in the words of the writers themselves. From the likes of The Kinks, The Doors and Rod Stewart in the 60s, to Beyonce, Aloe Blacc and The Lumineers in the 21st century – through five decades of pop, rock, R&B and indie tracks in-between – this book puts the art and craft of the song at the centre of the stage.
- How a terrible gig in Durham was the unlikely inspiration behind Free‘s All Right Now
- The tragic truth behind Mike + The Mechanics‘ moving classic The Living Years
- Why UB40‘s Food For Thought and Roxette‘s It Must Have Been Love were actually Christmas songs… but East 17‘s Christmas smash Stay Another Day wasn’t
- How The Doors‘ classic Light My Fire came about because Robby Krieger felt sorry for the obscure chords that rock ‘n’ roll forgot
- Why Fairground Attraction‘s Mark Nevin tried to convince Eddi Reader not to sing Perfect
- How Aloe Blacc‘s I Need A Dollar was inspired by the field songs of the deep south
To ensure the book’s as educational as it is entertaining, we’ve also asked our resident songwriting expert James Linderman – a professional songwriting coach and Berklee College of Music ambassador based in Canada – to look at all the individual stories, and highlight the key learning points that any aspiring songwriter can take away.
Whether you’re an experienced writer looking to pick up a few pro tips, an absolute beginner who could use some simple, friendly advice or just an ardent music-lover who wants to know more about their favourite songs, we hope you’ll find what you’re looking for within the pages of How I Wrote…
Publisher: Tangent Books
Number of pages: 100
Weight: 250 g
Dimensions: 200 x 125 x 8 mm
Great gift for the music fan in your life.
This is a wonderful little book, full of fascinating nuggets of songwriting and music trivia. It’s the kind of book you can turn to at random and be surprised at each turn. I particularly liked the genesis of Bright Eyes. It would be a great gift or stocking filler for any discerning music fan. — Kyan
A must for all those interested in song writing. A fresh and innovative approach to recording the song writing journey. Loved it!!! — LynnGuk