The Week In Review (30 Jan – 5 Feb)
We round-up the last week in music, including news you might’ve missed, our #SongOfTheDay playlist and Classic Of The Week
After the grim readings that we’ve brought you the last couple of weeks we thought that we’d bring something a more lighthearted to our weekly catch-ups. So here you are, dear readers, a video of a dog playing with a doorstop. Why? Because sometimes you just need to be reminded that the world isn’t all fire and brimstone.
Anyway, back to the serious business of our weekly round-up of the world of music. We hope you enjoy it folks!
Classic Of The Week
‘The Passenger’ by Hunter As a Horse (2016)
This is a recent discovery in the Songwriting office, one that we found courtesy of the utterly addictive new Archie Comics TV series, Riverdale. Replete with deliciously throbbing synths and a wonderful organ melody, this is a track that demands repeat listens.
News this week
- The fifth album from Canadian singer-songwriter Mac DeMarco, Salad Days, will be released on 5 May. He’ll also be playing two shows at London’s Brixton Academy on 30 and 31 May.
- Another date has been added to this year’s British Summer Time series in Hyde Park. Phil Collins will headline on 30 June, with support from Blondie, Starsailor and Mike & The Mechanics.
- While we’re on the subject of Blondie, the new wave veterans announced this week that their forthcoming 11th album will feature contributions from Johnny Marr, Sia, Laurie Anderson and Charlie XCX, among others. Pollinator is out on BMG on 5 May.
- Kings Of Leon have added a whopping 25 dates to their 2017 North American tour. That’s far too many to list here, so check their website for details.
- Rock veterans Peter Frampton and the Steve Miller Band have announced a joint US tour for the summer. The 32-date trek starts in Holmdel, NJ on 15 June and ends in Murphys, CA on 13 August.
- RIP this week King Crimson bassist and Asia frontman John Wetton, who has died of colon cancer aged 67, and Black Sabbath keyboardist Geoff Nicholls, who passed away on Saturday 28 January after a battle with lung cancer..
Songs Of The Week
Song: Thought I Was Meant For You
Artist: Nell Bryden
Song: Define My Name
Artist: The Ferdy Mayne
Song: Halley’s Comet
Artist: Sarah Darling
Artist: The Nightjar