We round-up the last week in music, including news you might’ve missed, our #SongOfTheDay playlist and Classic Of The Week
It’s official dear readers, Christmas is coming and we couldn’t be more excited. If you’re anything like us then you’ve spent your week thinking of what presents to buy your friends, loved ones and colleagues, arranging various Christmas meals and, of course, putting up your tree and decorations.
We hope that you’re wrapped-up warm and dusting off your copies of Elf, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Bad Santa while Michael Bublé’s Christmas plays in the background. But before you get too comfy, here’s our review of the last seven days in music.
Classic Of The Week
‘Queen’s Speech 4’ by Lady Leshurr (2015)
UK rapper Lady Leshurr has experienced quite the transition in the last year, evolving from highly regarded wordsmith to rap’s next superstar in waiting. This was down to her Queen’s Speech freestyles, with the fourth in the series going viral and introducing Lady Leshurr to an audience of millions. Listen to the song below and you’ll understand why her star is in the ascendency.
News this week
- Liam Gallagher has announced his first-ever solo gig. He’ll play London’s Bush Hall for music charity Youth Music on 28 March. Also on the bill are Tom Odell, Jess Glynne and Plan B.
- Songwriting congratulations this week to singer-songwriter Meilyr Jones, formerly of Race Horses, who’s just been awarded the Welsh Music Prize for his debut solo album 2013.
- Congratulations also to The Charlatans frontman Tim Burgess, who is 2017’s official ambassador for Independent Venue Week, a week of gigs to highlight the importance of small venues to the British music scene.
- Meanwhile, fans of The Charlatans’ contemporaries Inspiral Carpets have launched a campaign to make the band’s 1994 track Saturn 5 the UK Xmas No 1 following the death of drummer Craig Gill.
- Sales of Leonard Cohen’s music have seen a 400 per cent spike since his death. The Essential Leonard Cohen is currently No 13 on the US album chart and No 26 in the UK, while his final album You Want It Darker oddly sits at No 7 both sides of the Atlantic.
- Iggy Pop has been writing with Danger Mouse again. The two previously collaborated on Sparklehorse’s 2010 album Dark Night Of The Soul, and have now penned a song called Gold for the forthcoming Matthew McConaughey film of the same name.
Songs Of The Week
Song: Messed Up
Artist: Death Team
Artist: Paris & Simo
Artist: King No-One
Song: I Used To Pray For The Heavens To Fall
Artist: The Dears