30 October, 2016 in News
We round-up the last week in music, including news you might’ve missed, our #SongOfTheDay playlist and Classic Of The Week
With the year’s most frightening holiday upon us we at Team Songwriting thought we’d soothe the psyches of you, our dear readers, by confirming this, have no fear, we’re going nowhere and your beloved week in review is here.
So what have we been doing this past seven days? Frankly we’ve spent the week watching the stunning new series of the dark prince Charlie Brooker’s majestic Black Mirror (if you’ve not seen it then we question your sanity, of which there’ll be none left once you have done). If that wasn’t enough, the discovery of a 42 track playlist expanded playlist from the show’s beautiful fourth episode, San Junipero settled the rest of our week.
What? Is that the tutting lips and jutting eyebrows of you judging us dear readers? Well do one, because we wouldn’t change a thing about our week.
Classic Of The Week
‘Open Your Heart’ by Madonna (1986)
The fourth single from Madonna’s 25 million selling third album True Blue comes amidst her golden era, where whatever she touched turned to a million selling record and enduring critical acclaim. Even with the sepia tinged fondness for 80s’ and 90s’ reminiscence, this song remains a stunning example of the glistening, shinny and ebullient qualities of pop music.
News this week
- Old school rappers Eric B & Rakim are to reunite for a 2017 tour that will coincide with the reissue of all four of their albums – a surprise rapprochement for a duo that famously did not speak to each other for many years.
- A 1981 track called Firefly by a band called Freak Party has been released on limited edition vinyl. Freak Party’s guitarist and bassist would later hook up with a singer from Stretford called Steven Patrick Morrissey and morph into The Smiths…
- Ellie Goulding will play a one-off show at London’s Royal Albert Hall on 21 November. All proceeds from the gig will go to homelessness charity Streets Of London.
- Last week we told you about The Courteeners’ homecoming show at Old Trafford next May. This week, news reaches us that one fan has bought 67 tickets – so he can hold his wedding reception at the gig. We look forward to hearing How Good It Was!
- And finally… UB40 have branched out into the wine trade, launching a limited edition vino to coincide with their upcoming acoustic/greatest hits package. It’s called (what else?) Red Red Wine…
Songs Of The Week
Song: Name Call
Artist: Slum Sociable
Artist: Laura Welsh
Song: Youth & Old Age
Artist: LYING BSTRDS
Song: Joy Crookes
Song: Sunset Sons