18 December, 2016 in News
We round-up the last week in music, including news you might’ve missed, our #SongOfTheDay playlist and Classic Of The Week
It seems like an age since we were last here folks and that’s because it is. Last week technical issues – Gremlins eating away at the fabric of our dear site – stopped your beloved week in review from seeing the light of day. Well there’s no such issues this week and we’re back!
What have we been up to you ask? You might think that we’ve been finishing our Christmas shopping and causing havoc at the Christmas party. We have and we trust that you have too. What’s important, though, is that this is the last round-up we’ll be bringing you ahead of the arrival of Ol’ Saint Nick and below you’ll find our Christmas present to you, another storming week in review. We hope you enjoy it folks.
Classic Of The Week
‘Constant Nothing’ by Joyce Manor (2012)
Californian emo quartet Joyce Manor take the raw, heart carved onto your sleeve with the collarbone of your ex’s new partner, genius of Jawbreaker and drag it kicking and screaming into the noughties. They’re the finest current example of emo’s early 90s’ pomp and this blistering slice of punk ripped pop demonstrates just why.
News this week
- Bon Iver has added an extra date to his upcoming UK tour. Justin Vernon, as he’s known to his mum and the tax man, will now play Brixton’s 02 Academy on 17 February.
- Seasick Steve is coming to the UK for four live dates in April. Catch him at Manchester Apollo (18 April), Edinburgh Usher Hall (19 April), Newcastle Academy (21 April) and Leeds Academy (22 April).
- The Libertines are going to open their own hotel in an undisclosed UK seaside town. Pete Doherty revealed this week that Carl Barât has been “nest-egging all our advances” and that the establishment will include a recording studio, a nightclub and a bar.
- Neil Young’s high-resolution music store Pono is to launch a streaming service to compete with the likes of Google Play Music, Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal.
- And finally… Ed Sheeran has posted a picture of a sky-blue square on his Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts, which surely means his new album should be due soon.
Songs Of The Week
Song: Night Time TV
Artist: Fenech Soler
Song: Babies Gonna Cry
Artist: Ingrid Witt
Song: Take The Hit
Artist: The Hamiltons
Song: Keep Your Head Down
Artist: Jodie Abacus